Make your holiday celebration more ‘sosyal’ with this festive chicken relleno recipe
For Filipino feast and celebrations, a variety of staple meat dishes are always present in the banquet. A mixture of cuisines from Spanish, Chinese, American-inspired, and even indigenous foods are served for a joyful salu-salo.
Along with pancit, spaghetti, fried chicken, and lumpiang shanghai, relleno dishes are also part of Filipino handaan favorites. This best-loved treat is so yummy that even with other ingredients mixed, the hearty goodness is still there—even heightened with a richer taste.
Now if you want to have something new for your list of relleno recipes, then you should definitely try this festive take. Fill your tummy with the meaty combination of chicken and bangus! Not only will your taste buds perk up with its crumbly, meaty flavor; the appetizing gravy fused with a rosemary aroma can definitely add up to its delight. What a fun way to make your relleno taste sosyal! Try it on your own and celebrate this holiday season with a flavorful twist for your Christmas and New Year family dinner.
Festive Chicken Relleno with Rosemary Gravy
1.4-1.5 kg Whole Chicken
1 T calamansi juice
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
3 packs Sarangani Bay Bangus Embutido
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
1/4 cup chopped canned pimientos
1 egg, beaten
3 hard cooked eggs
2 T butter
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup all purpose flour
3 cups chicken broth
1 cup drippings from baked chicken, strained
1/4 cup white wine
1 t salt
1/4 t ground black pepper
1 T fresh rosemary leaves
1. Debone chicken. In a large bowl, mix calamansi juice, soy sauce, and black pepper. Place chickecn in the bowl, allow to marinade for 40 minutes in chiller.
2. Remove Bangus embutido in package. Place in a mixing bowl. Add cheese, olives, pimientos, and beaten egg. Mix well.
3. Stuff the mixture into the cavity of the deboned chicken. Position hard cooled eggs in the center and stuff with more of the mixture. Seal cavity with a toothpick.
4. Pre-heat oven to 350 deg F. Brush 1.5 ft of aluminum foil with butter. Place chicken at the center and wrap well.
5. Place in a baking pan. Bake in the oven for 40 minutes. Unwrap and bake for another 10-15 minutes until golden brown. Set aside.
To Make Gravy:
Melt butter in a sauce pan, add flour and cook until bubbly over medium heat. Gradually add chicken broth, drippings,and wine. Add salt, pepper and rosemary leaves. Cook until thick. Remove from heat.