Satisfy your spicy food cravings with a twist: Try Bangus Belly on this famous Bicolano dish
If you’re into spicy Filipino dishes, for sure, Bicol Express is on your top five list. There’s no denying that this famous savory viand easily captures your heart and taste buds—whether you’re from Bicol or not.
Now who would have thought this spicy and creamy Bicolano favorite can get even more satisfying? With crispy bangus belly as your side dish, this yummy and healthy twist will definitely give your tongue the deliciously hot satisfaction. Try this newly healthier take on Bicol Express—an exceptional combo pleasure for your spicy, meaty, creamy food cravings!
Crispy Bangus Bicol Express
1 -420 g Sarangani Bay Deboned Milkfish Belly
1 t salt
¼ t pepper
½ cup all purpose flour
1 cup cooking oil
½ cup onion, chopped
1 T garlic, minced
1 t ginger, grated
2 T shrimp paste
¼ kilo pork shoulder, coarsely chopped
1 ½ cups coconut milk
6 green long chili, sliced diagonally
3 birds eye chili (labuyo)
½ cup coconut cream
1. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a pan, sauté onions, garlic and ginger. Add shrimp paste. Add pork and cook until brown. Stir in coconut milk.
2. Cook until meat is tender and coconut milk has reduced. Add green and red chilies.
3. Lastly, add the coconut cream. Stir once and remove from heat. Set aside and keep warm.
4. Season milkfish with salt and pepper. Dredge in flour. Heat remaining oil in a fry pan. Fry milkfish to a crisp.
5. Drain and set aside.
6. Arrange milkfish on a plate and pour over the prepared Bicol express. Serve hot with rice.